The new Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop 7.9 has a lot to offer and worth making the upgrade, but being at the front of the line to implement a new release can also come with the risk of a few bugs. Here’s one we've come across and a quick fix to resolve the error.
After completing an upgrade project from v7.6 to v7.9, a client starting experiencing issues with Microsoft App-V 5.0 apps not launching. I was aware of some of the new App-V groups in 7.9, but wasn't sure why that would have affected the launch of applications, as we did not publish any new apps or make any changes after the upgrade.
I worked my way through Studio to find the root cause of this annoying bug and found that Studio no longer requires you to add a port on the end of your App-V Management server address. Not only does it not require it, but if you still have it in there after the upgrade, none of your apps will launch.
Below are the steps I took to get the apps launching again. There are two ways to go about it, so I would suggest trying one at a time and testing, so you don’t make any more changes than you need.
Resolution #1: Remove the Old Port
- Open the studio console and navigate to App-V Publishing.
- Once in the App-V Publishing feature, select Edit Microsoft Server.
- Inside this dialog box you will most likely see your App-V Management port still there. You will also notice that if you select OK here, it will error out and ask that you supply the correct port.
Remove the port after your FQDN and select OK.
- Login to your portal/receiver and try testing the App-V apps now. If you still can’t launch the apps, move on to Resolution #2.
Resolution #2: Recreate Machine Catalog
If you click on your Machine Catalogs, you’ll probably notice that the version is set to 7.X and above.
With the upgrade to 7.9 on the controllers, you now get an option to select 7.9 as your catalog version as well. But the problem is, you can’t change the catalog version setting from 7.X and above to 7.9 in the dialog box. You will have to recreate the Machine Catalog in order to make the change and take advantage of the new features in 7.9.
- First, login to Studio and click on Machine Catalogs.
- Once there, right click in the window and select Create Machine Catalog.
- Depending on how you have your provisioning setup, go through the steps to check what you had in the old App-V catalog.
- After hitting next (whether you use MCS, PVS or another method), you should see an option to Select the VDA version installed on this snapshot. In the drop down box select 7.9.
This will allow the controller to prepare the machine catalog appropriately for the new features in 7.9.
- Continue through the rest of your catalog setup steps.
- Test your applications to check that this resolution worked.
Leave me a comment below on which resolution worked for you or any other ways you were able to fix this error!
Read more about the new features in 7.9 and other product announcements in our Citrix Synergy 2016 Recap post.
Lewan Technology is a Citrix Gold Solutions Advisor and has the largest resident Citrix consulting bench in Denver, CO and the Rocky Mountain region, comprised of certified architects, engineers and administrators. We also hold the Citrix Specialist in Virtualization distinction.