This year’s annual Citrix Synergy conference took place in sunny Orlando, FL at the end of May. The event never disappoints and once again indicates that it’s going to be an exciting year for Citrix customers!
For those of you who couldn’t make it or are still trying to digest all of the new and innovative announcements, here is a recap and my takeaways.
Citrix’s New Workspace Service
A new cloud-based workspace service to deliver all apps and data on a unified, secure and contextually aware workspace. This workspace will accommodate bringing your own identity and is a SaaS aggregator, treat it as StoreFront++. This platform will be available later this quarter via Citrix Cloud.
Citrix’s New Analytics Service
A new cloud-based security and performance analytics service to get visibility across the XenApp, ShareFile, XenMobile and NetScaler ecosystem. This will allow administrators to see if there are abnormal trends on how data, application using or consumption per user and is part of the new security focus.
Citrix’s New Security Practice
A new Citrix Consulting practice to offer security based assessments for customers.
Citrix NetScaler Secure Web Gateway
The new Citrix Secure Web appliance that can provide encrypted traffic control, such as for your web applications. Allows policies to be set on top of internal and external traffic to encrypt from end to end when needed.
Secure Browser Essentials for Microsoft Azure
A simple cloud-based offering for secure remote access to the Internet that isolates end user internet browsing from enterprise endpoints and networks
Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop 7.14
- The license model can now be set at a Delivery Group level, impactful for those involved in mergers and acquisitions or any providing XenApp/XenDesktop-as-a-service where the customer brings their own licenses. In order to accomplish this previously, multiple farms had to be built.
- StoreFront 3.11 was released to alleviate bugs from the earlier 3.9 release
Citrix XenServer 7.2
- Nvidia vGPU enabled VMs can now be live XenMotioned from host to host without the need to power down the VM.
- Virtual Desktops are now aware and can be configured for Windows continuum. Now migrating sessions from laptop to tablet automatically adjusts the UI to fit the touch interface.
- Now XenServer provides support for AMD MxGPUs making XenServer the only hypervisor on the market that supports all 3 GPU virtualization platforms (Intel GVT-g, Nvidia vGPU and AMD MxGPU)
Citrix App Layering 4.2
- Adding Windows 10 x64 support for User layering (tech preview).
- Layer creation on XenServer and Nutanix AHV can both take advantage of OS and Layering caching on the target platform to speed the packaging process.
- In XenServer and vSphere environments, you can now import an OS directly from a VM without having to disconnect or copy the original disk.
- When publishing images for MCS or View Composer, additional automated steps have been added to reduce the admin’s number of manual tasks after the image is created.
- Upgrades for the Enterprise Layer Manager will automatically download when available (not install, just download) and notify the administrator that an upgrade is ready and waiting to be applied.
Citrix Optimization Tool
- Coming soon is a utility that can assist in optimizing VDA Servers and Desktops. As opposed to others, there is also support to roll back the optimizations in case an issue arises.
Citrix HDX Ready Pi 3
- Now with dual monitor support and Integrated Skype for Business Optmizations
- Also no longer running ThinLinx but Stratodesk. Included NoTouch Center management software allows for simple provisioning and updating across the network.
Citrix Workspace IoT
- New Smart Spaces for Collaboration can revolutionize meeting/conference rooms and how work is done.
Workspace Environment Management 4.3
- With changes in site management; localization with availability of German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Russian, Traditional and Simplified Chinese languages and user interface improvements.
Citrix Receiver Universal Windows Platform
- Available in the Microsoft App Store. It is designed to allow for Win 32 applications to run on Windows 10 S platform but it also allows for the app to run on all Windows 10 platforms, which means Citrix Receiver can now run on devices like Windows 10 Phone, PC, Surface Pro, IoT Enterprise, IoT Core, Surface hub and even the HoloLens.
Google Chromebooks and Skype for Business
- Available later in Q2, Citrix will be the only company to enable Skype for Business on Chrome OS devices.
Want the full Citrix Synergy experience? All of the keynotes and session highlights are available on-demand.
I said it after last year’s conference and I’ll say it again this year – Citrix Synergy 2017 was another outstanding conference and I am extremely excited by their latest announcements and innovations. After watching the keynotes and sessions, if you have any questions or want more information, don’t hesitate to .
Lewan Technology is a Citrix Gold Solutions Advisor and has the largest resident Citrix consulting bench in Denver, CO and the Rocky Mountain region, comprised of certified architects, engineers and administrators. We also hold the Citrix Specialist in Virtualization distinction.